I am the Rector of two of the three churches in the world dedicated to St Hybald, one of which (Hibaldstow) contains his remains. This blog is mainly for my monthly parish magazine articles.

Disclaimer: Calling myself "Hybald's Rector" does not imply that St Hybald would agree with everything I say!!

Monday 23 November 2015

Doctor Who, Zygons and Remembrance Sunday

This is the sermon I preached for the Remembrance Sunday Service at Broughton 2015:

Last night, I was just about to write my talk for this morning's service when my eldest son asked me to sit down to watch Doctor Who with him. I have to confess that I don't like sci-fi, and I'd never watched Doctor Who before the previous series. I wouldn't say that now I'm hooked on it but I do quite enjoy watching it, even if I don't understand what's happening! And so last night, instead of writing this morning's talk I watched Doctor Who. So, although the Bible readings we've just heard are great, I'd like to take as my text for this morning The Zygon Inversion by Peter Harness and Steven Moffat.

The Zygon Inversion is the second part of a story where the Zygons, a race of shapeshifting aliens, have been living in secret amongst us on Earth, unknown and unseen - until now! A rogue gang of Zygons start an uprising in the hope it will spark a war between humans and Zygons. Now hopefully what I say next won't contain any spoilers for those of you who haven't seen it yet. The climax of the episode involves the leader of the rogue Zygons and the leader of the international unit for extra-terrestrials. They have a choice to make – the Doctor’s devised a game of chance to determine whether they destroy themselves, or their enemies, a scale model of war to make them think.

Whilst trying to persuade them to keep the peace, the Doctor says to the rogue Zygon “maybe you will win, but no-one wins for long. The wheel just keeps on turning.” The Doctor puts his finger on the problem of war that “Cruelty begets cruelty.” But he also knows the solution saying: “The only way anyone can live in peace is if they are prepared to forgive.”

And there is the difficulty, because the jealousies and desires inside each of us stop us from turning our swords and spears into ploughshares and pruning hooks. Our desires to have the wrongs against us righted mean that we cannot let go, we cannot forgive. But to forgive and forget is not to say that the wrongs weren't wrong or that justice doesn't matter. Instead we let go so we can let God be the judge. And of course if we want the ultimate example of forgiveness we look not to the Time Lord, but to the Lord of Time.

The things we do wrong make us enemies of God and so we deserve punishment and ultimately separation from God. But God loves us so much that in Jesus he took that punishment we deserve when he died on the cross, so that we can be forgiven. Jesus died for us when we were his enemies so that we could become his friends. Amazingly, he died for everyone, even if they choose to remain his enemies and separated from him because they don't accept his forgiveness. But we can only truly forgive others if we have been forgiven by God first.


The Doctor, through his own experience of the horror and pain of war, found that forgiveness was the only way to make peace. So he says, “You know what do you do with all that pain?... You hold it tight 'til it burns your hand. And you say this: No-one else will ever have to live like this. No-one else will ever have to feel this pain. Not on my watch.” That's the spirit which inspired Remembrance Day. Sorrow for our own sins, so we can forgive others, so it will never happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment